Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why do they do that?

I bow to no one in my enjoyment of the spotting Eddie Stobart lorries game whilst cruising along a motorway. I mentioned this some while ago when I wrote all about going to Yorkshire with Dong and Shazzerooneypoos. Stobart lorry cabs all have a girl's name (there are some sad souls who collect the cab names in the way that trainspotters collect loco numbers); the drivers are reputed to be on orders to wave back if anyone should wave to them.

So when I found a Stobart lorry on my route to work I had a mixture of delight at seeing one of the legendary vehicles and annoyance at where it had been parked.

Why is it on the pavement? Any person in a wheelchair or with a pushchair would be obliged to use the road because the git behind the wheel parked thoughtlessly. Not to mention someone with eyesight even worse than mine suffering potential injury. Why should we expect there to be a farkin' great wagon on the tiny bit of cityscape that is reserved exclusively for pedestrians? Why do drivers of all types of vehicle (it would be unfair to single out Eddie Stobart's men) think it's ok to block our safety zone?

Come to mention it, why did some civil engineer think it was ok to leave a theodolite stand blocking the pavement unattended? I did bang into that, without injury fortunately. Sheer bloody thoughtlessness.

I've noticed that many motorists think nothing of parking in West Street here in Millbrook with two wheels up on the pavement blocking the safe passage of pedestrians especially those with any form of disability. This is thoughtless behaviour. It is ignorant, oafish and selfish. It says "I'm more important than anyone else, I don't care if I make life more difficult for anyone. I want to go shopping, so sod you."

It forces those less able to deal with danger than the driver to face greater risk.

If any readers are in the appalling habit of blocking pavements with their cars, please think again. It really does cause a lot of difficulty to those with disabilities and to those with small children. Just park a bit further away from the shop, where there's a proper space.

If you really can't bring yourself to walk an extra few yards, park in the road. Block the traffic: have the courage of your conviction that you have the right to park anywhere regardless of others' needs or safety.

Meanwhile, for those of you still with me. The Eddie Stobart cab in Millbay was:

No comments: