Tuesday, December 01, 2009

And Bollards To You To

Pedestrians are (or should be) celebrating as the long promised bollards have appeared in Millbrook's West Street.
These hard , black protuberances (ooh, matron) are the long promised result of some vigorous campaigning by parish councillors and local business people alike.
I've often moaned like hell about the selfishness of car drivers who think it's ok to pull up onto the pavement "just for a couple of minutes" as they nip into a shop. I'm sure you don't need reminding that the pavement is my area of safety; the area of safety for people in wheelchairs, the area of safety for people with pushchairs and small infants.
Parking on pavements means that we have to walk in the road; if a driver really thinks that it's ok to stop wherever they want to, then I wish they'd have the courage of their convictions and block the road - NOT the pavement.
Well, happily, the self-centred thoughtless twats who daily pull up onto the kerb outside Millbrook News in West Street, often narrowly missing pedestrians who are already on the pavement and risking mowing down a customer emerging from Simon's newsagents, can no longer do so.
I, for one, say huzzah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one say its even more difficult to get my double buggy up West Street. They look bloody awful too!
Its a shame Millbrook has to resort to blinking great bollards down the main street.

I do agree there are quite a few careless drivers about.

Surely a blind person will walk into a bollard now instead of a car?!
Huzzah ;-)

Mr A

The Millbrooker said...

Fair point about the double buggy; as regards being visually impaired - the bollards are in a fixed position (cars used to park all over the shop) and white cane users like me will feel the bollards as we progress along the pavement; guide dog users wil, presuambly, be guided; I think that Cornwall Unitary Council's workers have ensured that there's enough space for a standard wheelchair to use the pavement. My argument is that cars parked on the pavement force people to walk in the road; bollards do not.

Thanks for the comment - It's always nice to know someone's reading!