Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chilly Panto Rehearsals

Not long back I let the world know that I'm going to be a rather elongated dwarf in Maker's pantomime...as the song goes (to the tune of "Scotland The Brave"): "My name is Mr Grumpy, I always get the humpy..."

I know, I know. And the jokes don't get any better either.

Anyway, rehearsals are continuing apace and line learning has taken up lots of my time, hence the relative dearth of witterings over the last few days.

The rehearsals are in the Nissen huts at Maker Camp.
Not to put too fine a point on it, the temperature inside these wartime leftovers is in the range that frightens brass monkeys. From the little (very little) research I've done into the history of Nissen huts, this is a trait they all share; American airmen in WW2 used to complain bitterly about the cold nights within before heading out to the local dance halls and getting up to all sorts of how's-your-father with the young ladies of the time. Apparently.

But I digress, our noble Prince Kevin (look - the panto's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, there has to be a prince and he has to have a name), seems to be oblivious to the all pervading chill as he parades around in a short sleeved tee-shirt. Here he is, doing a passable impersonation of Dan Hillman (sax player extraordinaire), rehearsing a dance routine and song in praise of English ladies' hosiery.Note the fact that everyone else is sensibly wrapped up nice and snug, including Didds (Snow White) with a rather fetching blob of red on her bonce and Pete D (Sir Edward) who never knowingly removes his beanie hat.

All of this, as I'm sure you've worked out, is leading up to a plug and a short bit of me urging you to come along to the performances. Tickets are on sale from this coming Monday (in classic Maker style, I have no idea where they're available from, nor how much they cost).

So:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

The Energy Room

Maker Camp

16, 17 and 18 February

Be there, you'll only regret it if you're not.

Will it be a refreshingly professional and slick production?

Probably not.

Will it be a laugh and a decent excuse for a night out?

Absolutely.

Will The Random Arms be open afterwards?

Too right, it will.

No comments: