Sunday, October 09, 2011

Disappointed

At breakfast this morning I cast my eye over the Guardian's "The Guide" section as is my habit. I don't really read it, I just scan through to see if there's anything I might want to go and see in the way of entertainment that's a bit above and beyond the usual, and normally excellent, local fare.


I got very excited when I saw that the lovely Joan Baez is touring next spring and will be at Plymouth Pavilions in March.


I saw Joan perform at Glastonbury 1984 and fell just a bit in love with her. Who wouldn't?
Her clear, floating vocals; her easy charm; her undoubted commitment to progressive humanitarian politics. Did it for me. I found this photo of that very performance at ukrockfestivals.com.
So I hurried upstairs to have look at booking a couple of seats.


Not very long ago, Mrs The Millbrooker and I paid £26 each (so £52) to go and see Deep Purple. That was a bit eye watering, but we forked out. I reckoned that if Joan's concert was similarly priced, we could probably just about squeeze the money from somewhere.


The cheapest seats, right at the back from whence someone with vision like mine won't see a thing, are £32.50 a pop. The seats from which you can actually see what's going on on the stage are £39.50 each. That's £79 for the two of us to go  out for a couple of hours entertainment.


Sorry, Joan, not this time. Probably not ever again. Hope the tour goes well.

2 comments:

Frankenkeith said...

Ah well, just keep your memories.
I saw her in Sheffield in 1964, the seats must have been cheaper then 'cos I was a poor student.
Farewell Angelina?

The Millbrooker said...

Was always partial to her version of Lily Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts myself.