Saturday, November 10, 2007

The musical career takes off

Have ukulele, will travel....far.

Having got my hands on the coolest instrument on Earth from Acre Music in Warminster, I thought it only fair to share my expertise with my old buddies in Deep Purple and help them out by showing them a couple of new licks.

They were so grateful that Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Steve Morse, Ian Paice and Don Airey (the current DP line-up) invited me onto their latest tour to trade licks with them in improvised versions of "Smoke on the Ukulele", "Strange Kind of Uke" and "My Ukulele From Tokyo".

Here we are knockin' 'em dead at the Budokan in Tokyo during a special re-recording of "Made In Japan" to be entitled "Uked In Japan":
(With thanks to Piers "Teatime" Taylor for the photo and with apologies to Deep Purple, whom I admire hugely and consider to have provided a soundtrack for most of my conscious existence).

No comments: