Friday, January 04, 2008

Brrrr

Well wrapped against the biting Easterly that made many a brass monkey check his nether parts over the last couple of days, Mrs The Millbrooker, Lizzie and yours truly braved a bit of an outing yesterday.


We didn't make it far from our own front door before some footwear adjustment was deemed necessary by the womenfolk. The photo below was taken less than 100 metres from Millbrooker Towers. Quite why shoelace tying is so difficult to get right the first time, I don't know.

It really was shockingly nippy and very windy; I was very pleased that I'd thought to don my deeply unsexy thermals for the duration, as evidenced by the jauntiness of my demeanour as we marched past Withnoe Barton and onwards toward Tregantle:

After a short, icy and more than slightly hazardous walk in strict single file along the main road we found the footpath back down to St John; the signpost has fallen over, so if anyone's thinking of using it - you'll need to keep your eyes peeled to find the route.

We found shelter in the ancient sunken lane above Jack's Lane, the wind being broken by the overgrown Cornish hedges all around. Lizzie and Mrs The Millbrooker are seen here sporting the latest in tea-cosy headgear to keep their ears from the dangers of frostbite:

A short sojourn in the St John Inn for a cuppa (the ladies) and a pint (guess who), and we were on the homeward stretch. I had a change of headgear as my tea-cosy had become a little damp with all the exertions and replacing it onto my bonce would have been damply and stickily unpleasant. Luckily I had a spare for just such an emergency:

My, what fit people we are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joshua,
Thanks for the weather report and pictures of the "Old Country"
Glad the New Year went well.
On your freezing day out to St John I was enjoying a few beers at SCG and watching The Little Master (Tendulkar) make 154 N/O. Hope that cheers you up!