Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Grifters at Film Club

We rounded off this season's showings of DVDs at Millbrooker Towers in the mildly sozzled company of Dong and Shazzeroonypoos on Sunday evening; I think all of us had been a tad slow in pulling ourselves together through the day after the debaucheries that we'd inflicted upon our aging frames during safari supper. Nonetheless, we were present, if not correct, and had the addition of Dozybean for the classic 1973 caper The Sting.
I guess that almost everyone will have seen this evergreen crime comedy at some point or other. If, like me, you've not seen it for about thirty years (oh, help, middle age is definitely upon me) - go out and get yourself a copy immediately. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't grin from ear to ear throughout the ridiculous plot.I refuse to even attempt a sensible review or crit; it's fun, it's fast paced, it's as bogus as they come in terms of plot and location. The acting is balls-out mugging for the camera and, needless to say, Paul Newman is both brilliant and gorgeous. Robert Redford just can't keep up, in my 'umble; he does provide an elegantly decent foil, though.
The clothes are wonderful (I want that pin-striped suit they gave to Redford) and you find yourself willing the con men to pull it off; just in case anyone hasn't seen it I won't say whether they do or not. Suffice to say the plot has plenty of twists and red herrings to stop the first timer from guessing what's going to happen. All that and Scott Joplin too!


Bloomin' marvellous.

I declare the season of film club officially closed.

We will next convene on Saturday 29th of this month or Sunday 30th (don't panic, film clubbers, we'll let you know) to begin the next season of digitised celluloid.

No comments: