Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Yippee! Lucky me!

Dozybean and YarMatt have very generously got tickets for Mrs The Millbrooker and me to attend a concert featuring one of my very favourite pieces of music; I'm very excited.

I'm a bit of a latecomer to classical music and only really started listening and appreciating the multifaceted genre four or five years ago; mostly my tastes veer toward the 20th century stuff - Shostakovich, Cage, Britten....

But Schubert's Quintet in A D667 "The Trout" gets a frequent spin on the Millbrooker Towers CD player. It was one of the first pieces that caught my imagination and I simply love it.

For anyone who doesn't know The Trout, but might want to, this is a cracking rendition of the first movement by members of the Amadeus Quartet with Clifford Curzon on piano. Try it, you might like it.


The concert we're heading off to is by the Schubert Ensemble, it's in Truro on 13th March - I have no idea if tickets are still available, but details are available here. The gig will also feature a performance of Fauré's Piano Quartet in Cm, I don't know that one - but here's an extract mostly for my own delectation, so I can learn a bit before the gig.


mmmm....nice.

Now, if you fancy something challenging and cacophonous, try setting both videos running at once.

No comments: