Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New Boots and Thermals

Yesterday Mrs The Millbrooker and I trekked into Plymouth on a mission to explore the depths of Sainsbury's for those items unobtainable elsewhere (we really do try to avoid supermarkets, but on occasion neither time nor budget will allow an alternative).

But there was also another, much more exciting mission to complete beforehand. I've finally worn out my last pair of walking boots; it's taken about two and a half years and roughly 2000 miles, but the soles are now through to the soft rubber beneath the tread. It's time for them to retire and act as gardening boots for the foreseeable future and for me to dig deep into the coffers for a new pair of Brasher's.

Product Endorsement Corner: The Millbrooker always wears Brasher Walking Boots when out trekking. No, I don't get paid for this.So, £90 lighter in pocket, I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new pair of boots which called to mind the late great Ian Dury and his seminal album......with its title line in the song "Partial To Your Abracadabra": "...simply can't resist, new boots and pants like this..."

I haven't, as it happens got any new pants, but all things considered I reckon a pair of old thermals make an elegant substitute.


Time to stop writing nonsense, shovel some breakfast down the old neck and try out the new boots for real on the commute past Millbrook Lake and Dexter's Cottages to Cremyll and thence across the fair Withywindle to the station.

Off we go...

No comments: