Saturday, January 12, 2008

The coolest instrument on Earth gets even more street cred

When I first clapped eyes on the pink flying-vee ukulele that Bruce "SubHuman" Treasure sold me from his music shop in Warminster, I knew I had to own it.
It seems I'm not the only one who thinks that such an instrument is a seriously cool thing to keep about one's person.
*
One of my Christmas presents from the ever thoughtful Mrs The Millbrooker was a copy of The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band's new CD "Pour l'Amour des Chiens" complete with a bonus DVD featuring footage from their recent(ish) tour. This evening whilst Mrs The Millbrooker is slaving over a hot word processor trying to get some work done towards her M.A., I took a first viewing of the DVD.
*
What do I see adorning the microphone stand, centre stage?:

Yep - a pink plying-vee ukulele. Seen above taking a starring role with the great Roger Ruskin Spear and newly invested Bonzo Adrian Edmondson as they do the Trouser Press (baby).

Here's a couple of other shots showing the coolest instrument on Earth with legendary Bonzo celebrities. Firstly, Roger Ruskin Spear from the waist down on the chair and "Legs" Larry Smith:

This one shows the another newly inducted Bonzo, Phill Jupitus, with Neil Innes in the spotlight performing the evergreen "Canyons of your Mind" next to a pristine pink uke:

Needless to say I adore the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, have done for more years than I care to admit. The new album's a cracker, they're still every bit as silly and they're still marvellously inventive musicians and writers. If any of the fine gentlemen who make up the band happen to stumble upon this, my apologies for using images to which I have no rights whatever, except that I think you may have borrowed my ukulele.

No comments: