Sunday, October 31, 2010

The 'Eller in Millbrook

Ian the Taxi (who took over Millbrooker moving duties from Tony the Taxi when said Tony emigrated to Poland) is being a very energetic Ian as I write.

The annual 10 mile road race up hill and down dale on the Rame Peninsula is currently being run (the faster runners will have finished before I finish this posting).

Mrs The Millbrooker and I went down to the lake to watch the start in the sweeping rain and gusting autumn winds at the appointed hour (according to Ian) of 10 o'clock. We stood on the jetty and watched the dam for signs of runners galloping across at the beginning of their voluntary 10 mile self-flagellation.

Nothing happened. It got to be nearly twenty past the allotted hour and we thought that perhaps it would start at 10:30. At around that time a lone runner was seen lolloping across the dam.
And then he ran past us, still with no one in pursuit. "Strange way to stage a race," I thought.
Having now stood in the cold on a Sunday morning-day-of-rest, Mrs The Millbrooker and I decided that this runner was probably just doing a lap of the lake to warm up and the official start must be 11 o'clock and that that was too late to stand there any longer, so whilst Ian the Taxi and his boy Shane along with numerous other very fit and healthy types panted their way around the first part of the 'Eller's 'ellish course, I sat down in the warmth of Millbrooker Towers' kitchen and enjoyed a jolly decent breakfast.
So I do hope that Ian had a good run and made his target time of about 1 hour 40 minutes and I'm a tad sorry that I missed the action, but it wasn't for the want of trying. The breakfast was most enjoyable, though.

No comments: