Sunday, October 31, 2010

Wonderful Manganism

No commentary needed - just a quotation from Lucy Mangan's Saturday musings in the Guardian's Weekend magazine.

The full article can be read here. Lucy Mangan would have been 14 or 15 when this (doubtless mildly coloured in by her own talent and memory) event occurred.

"...And then there was that poll tax business...I remember that because it was on the news and because a friend of my dad's took the opportunity to explain to me...''Imagine a rich man has bags and bags of gold all around him. And a poor man has two gold coins that he has managed to save over the years. Now imagine an evil hag, dripping blood from a blue suit lined with kitten skins knocks at their doors and demands a gold coin from each. Is that fair? No, and that's why if you ever vote Tory I'll come back and chop your balloting hand off." "

I don't think I've ever been quite as eloquent with the younger family members, but I do hope they've generally got the message.

*********
photo shamelessly stolen from guardian.co.uk, cartoon by the great Steve Bell.

No comments: